Hello Summer Readers!
Our August Summer Reading Series selection is Two Years, No Rain by Shawn Klomparens. Shawn will be popping in to answer any questions you might have, so leave your questions in the comments. Here is a synopsis of the book, and following are discussion questions that I’ve dreamed up. Please feel free to leave your answers here, or add your own questions.
An earnest journey from heartache to heartthrob and all the emotions along the way; at once an old-fashioned love story and a cautionary tale of self-reinvention.
In San Diego County, it hasn’t rained in 580 days. But for weatherman Andy Dunne, everything else is changing fast…Only a few weeks ago, he was a newly divorced, slightly overweight meteorologist for an obscure satellite radio station, hiding his secret love for a colleague, the beautiful—and very much married—Hillary Hsing. But nearly overnight, Andy has landed a new gig, flying a magic carpet in a bizarre live-action children’s TV show. So what is affable, basically decent Andy Dunne going to do now that he can do practically anything he wants? With a parade of hot moms begging for his autograph and a family that needs his help more than ever, Andy has a lot of choices. First, though, there’s this thing with Hillary, their heated text messages, a long-awaited forecast for rain – and a few other surprises he never saw coming…
SO READERS- let’s get the discussion started! These are just a few questions to get you thinking- you don’t have to answer them all. Please feel free to respond to each others answers, too.
1. The book opens on the day Andy’s wife is moving out of their house. His wife has cheated on him repeatedly, yet he feels the divorce is his fault. Is it?
2. What kind of husband was Andy? What kind of brother/brother in law/friend/uncle is he?
3. Is an emotional affair as damaging to a relationship as a real (physical) affair?
4. Some reviewers have referred to this book as “dude-lit”, or chick lit with a guy as the main character. Would you agree? What was this like as a reading experience?
5. What factors are instrumental in pulling Andy out of his funk, both emotionally and professionally? (i.e. working out, encouragement from friends, having Hannah around, etc.) What kinds of things help to pull you out of a rut?
6. Andy’s new job on Andy’s Magic Carpet gives him a measure of fame that he is unaccustomed to. What did he learn about himself as a result?
7. What role do the Jasons (Andy’s twin and Hill’s husband) play in the book for Andy?
8. Did you find the characters likeable? Who did you like the most? The least?
9. Did you enjoy the weather metaphors in Two Years, No Rain?
We can’t wait to hear your thoughts on Two Years, No Rain! PLEASE try to avoid major plot spoilers in the comments, for people who haven’t yet read the book. If your comment is spoiler-ish, put the word SPOILER first before leaving your comment!
Filed under: book clubs, books, California, reading, Reading Groups Tagged: | book clubs, California, chick lit, discussion questions, dude lit, fiction, guy lit, reading, shawn klomparens, summer reading series, two years no rain